The Coaching Habit™
Good intentions aren’t enough
As a leader, you know the value of developing coaching skills – coaching can increase focus and capacity, reduce overwhelm and dependency, and drive both engagement and impact.
But even with the best of intentions, today’s time-strapped managers and leaders often find themselves defaulting to a limited old-school management approach: tell them rather than ask them; solve it for them rather than helping them figure out. It perpetuates bottlenecks, fire-fighting and managers with just too much stuff on their plate.
Theory, models and exhortations to “do more coaching” aren’t going to make a difference. We need to help managers and leaders in developing the coaching skills, insights and support so that they change their behaviour and coaching becomes a habit – and a regular and useful part of their management repertoire.
Developing the coaching habit
This innovative program is an introduction to coaching skills for managers and leaders. Beginning with a half-day session, the coaching program includes three things that make the difference and help develop coaching skills as an every day habit.
First, we help managers, executives and leaders understand how and why they’re so quickly and easily tempted to jump in and be the advice-giver and the problem-solver – and the price that they (and the employees they’re managing) pay for this. With this new understanding, it becomes easier for them to disarm the advice “hair-trigger” so that managers can use their coaching skills when the occasion calls for it.
Second, we focus on a range of practical next-day ready coaching tools to increase focus, engagement and impact, including:
- The 7 most powerful coaching questions for managers, core questions that can be used in any conversation.
- The Coaching Bookends™ – powerful ways of starting and finishing any management conversation to help increase its coaching impact.
Finally, we establish a 90-day process as a follow-up to the introduction to coaching skills for managers. This helps embed the new tools, skills and behaviours and get it “in their bones”. It includes:
- A tracking tool to identify possible coaching moments on a daily, weekly and monthly basis
- An action plan and commitment to practice their coaching skills for 90 days
- An accountability support system between participants that keeps people encouraged and engaged
- A 13-week eCourse that helps key lessons from the coaching program stick
If you’re looking for an introduction to coaching for managers and leaders that makes coaching a habit and not just a lucky guess, The Coaching Habit is perfect for your organization. Complete the inquiry form to the left or use our contact page. We’ll be in touch within 24 hours.